Wednesday, August 26, 2009

CD 9: "TTC" And Other Baby-Making Acronyms

Googling questions on any subject will undoubtedly lead you to Yahoo! Answers or some other forum-style site where people toss out questions in hopes that someone will answer and know what they're talking about. These posts are full of "Baby-Making Acronyms" (BMA) and a whole new set of word for my baby-making vocabulary.

Following is a short list of some of the questions/sentences I have recently Googled:
"Why don't I ovulate?"
"How to treat anovulation"
"When will I get my period after Provera?"
"How long after Clomid will I ovulate?"
"When is the best time of day to conceive?"

Two weeks ago I started taking Provera to induce a period and begin a new cycle. On day 3 of my cycle (CD3) began taking 50 mg of Clomid. I went for an ultra sound (U/S) but my follicles (Fs) were not yet mature so I'll back in on Friday to find out when I will ovulate. I am very lucky in that my Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) levels and other hormone levels are normal and internally everything looks good. My husband's ego recently exploded following his sperm analysis (SA) which showed a very high sperm count, and despite a few sperm with "neck/midpiece defects" and "detached heads," he's got plenty of strong swimmers.

With all this in mind, all we can do is wait. Wait to try. In the meantime I've become a regular voyeur on all forum sites where women discuss their conception struggles and joys. Some women make it sound so easy, others make it sound hard. But in reading these many postings from women whom I have never met, I have learned more than I ever imagined. I am learning the language of the "Aspiring Mom" (AS).

Here's a baby-making acronym I'm still trying to decipher: BD. By reading this in context, it clearly means the actual act of intercourse. Here's an example. The following is the answer to a question about when to try for the baby during a course of Clomid:

"would say your best bet is to BD starting CD11, then go every other day. That is what my dr. told me. "

But what does "BD" stand for? I took Clomid from CD3-7. Today is CD9. My doctor thinks I will ovulate (O) on Saturday. So, if you don't see me out and about this weekend, I'll be at home with my husband TTC (Trying To Conceive).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julia! I wish you luck. I also had to use Clomid to get pregnant. They had to increase my dosage for it to work.

    There is also another blog for you to look at. http://www.yayastuff.blogspot.com. She is an advocate for infertility and she has become a friend. She also posts funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete